Listed in Wildlife & Conservation
- Boulder, CO
Reporting to the Aquatics Assistant Director, the Aquatic Senior Science Technician supports the Aquatic Team in their effort to prepare the NEON Observatory for Operations by providing technical experience in the areas of written documentation, GIS mapping and analysis, illustrations, and website management. The Senior Science Technician assists the team in a variety of activities including supporting the developing of standardized operating procedures for field sensor and equipment maintenance, field data collection and field QA/QC, assisting in the development of a training program, and finalizing the design of Aquatic sensor installations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in GIS mapping and GIS analysis of lake bathymetric and stream morphometric maps.
- Document sensor maintenance procedures to be used in the field.
- Produce maps of sites using GIS and other software to provide geo-spatial information to the NEON Aquatic team and Field Operations staff.
- Assist with final designs to support AIS instrumentation site and sensor Maintenance documentation of water quality instrumentation in streams, lakes, and groundwater wells.
- Assist with diagram and illustration creation for field and lab protocol documents.
- Assist with videography and presentations for the AQU training program.
- Maintain and manage the AQU website for working groups and other functions specific to the AQU team.
- Prepare and distribute reports of NEON site designs.
- Support field infrastructure installation and deployment as needed.
- Collaborate with the staff to investigate other possible publications.
- Follow NEON safety and environmental requirements, policy and procedures.
REQUIRED: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science or Engineering. Equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Basic experience of GIS (ArcINFO and ArcView).
- Previous experience working with scientists in a science-based endeavor.
- Experience with an illustration program (e.g. Adobe Illustrator).
- Previous experience with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to prepare technical documents.
- Effective verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of biology, ecology and biogeochemistry of freshwater streams and lakes.
- Experience designing or maintaining websites.
- Experience with database management (e.g. Access) or any interest in learning these skills.
- Experience with the videography process, including storyboarding and filming.
Must possess a valid US driver’s license.
Must have permanent authorization for US employment. NEON, Inc. will not provide any kind of visa sponsorship.
This position offers competitive total rewards including 401(k), health, vision and dental insurance, generous paid time off and the opportunity to work with at an organization with a great mission.
Apply here: NEON