- 196 Quincy Street, Dorchester, MA 02121
CWK seeks a dedicated, passionate, mission-oriented leader with exceptional business and management skills to serve in a new role as Associate Director for Operations and Business Development. This new position will supervise all daily operational management functions, including managing organizational budgets; supervising our business assistance and jobs programming, including reporting, data collection, evaluation, and reporting; managing key strategic partnerships; and directly supervising two administrative staff, while supporting and advising the kitchen and facilities staff.
This new role will also help lead a coordinated strategy to capitalize on multiple new business opportunities on behalf of CWK and its small businesses under incubation, translating opportunities into well-structured programs, contracts, operations, outcomes, and revenues. S/he will leverage business and operational acumen both to grow CWK’s businesses in incubation, and to help CWK complete its transition to a sustainable, high-performing and scalable not-for-profit business enterprise.
S/he will assist in developing markets for CWK’s businesses in incubation, and for its contract manufacturing operation, and develop programs and partnerships that serve those businesses and CWK’s mission.
S/he will ensure business and operational excellence, lead, manage and mentor other managers, and build out the administrative, fiscal and operational management and systems of CWK.
S/he will partner with the Executive Director, Executive Chef and other staff to build and grow CWK as a learning organization, coordinate operations, build practical streamlined systems, and translate the vision and goals of the board and staff team into operational excellence.
In the temporary absence of the Executive Director, the COO will serve in her stead.
Given CWK’s small staff, operational intensity, and commitment to organizational excellence, the role of the AD will be broad, deep and dynamic. The Executive Director expects to further fine-tune the AD role in response to her/his areas of interest and strength. However, specific initial areas of responsibility are expected to include the following:
- Management of all organizational finances and financial performance, including development and management of budgets, oversight of accounting operations, annual audit and tax filings, and contract management;
- Oversight of all day-to-day operational management functions;
- Leadership of a collaborative process to develop and coordinate workplans, and ensure internal communications, coordination and mutual accountability;
- Generation, analysis and continuous improvement of systems of organizational data in order to support better pricing models (including shared kitchens, contract manufacturing, cold, frozen and dry storage), evaluate organizational performance, and support marketing and fundraising.
- Oversight of all financial and organizational reporting to maintain non-profit status and fulfill regulatory, funder, lender and business development reporting requirements;
- Identification and development of mission-supporting market opportunities, partnerships and programs with the best potential for revenue growth.
- The negotiation, creation, and successful implementation and oversight of contracts, partnerships and agreements with funders, lenders, partners, customers and vendors;
- The management of key partner relationships, which may include non-profit partners such as Conservation Law Foundation, Boston Public Market Association, Interise, and JVS; key community partners including Dorchester Bay EDC, The Food Project, BUILD, Project RIGHT, and DSNI; key funders; and/or key public agency partners.
- Development and management of organizational information systems such as tracking systems for monitoring intakes, hires, business development and growth; kitchen scheduling, tracking and usage; storage usage; and other data necessary for assessing organizational impact;
- Supervise the development and implementation of personnel and human resources policies;
- Ensure, in collaboration with kitchen management team, oversight and supervision of facility, including all facilities maintenance contracts;
- Work with kitchen management team to maintain updated policies and procedures manuals for kitchen usage;
- Other management tasks as assigned at the discretion of the Executive Director.
Reports to: The Associate Director Business Development & Operations (AD) will report directly to Jennifer Faigel, Executive Director.
Direct Reports & Supervision: Initially, the AD is expected to directly supervise the Business Manager and the Community & Operations Manager, as well as a contract Accountant/Controller. S/he will also oversee a number of outside contractors and vendors.
Qualifications: This is an exceptional opportunity for an individual with strong experience in the not-for-profit and/or food-related businesses. The following qualifications are preferred and it is expected that successful candidates will meet most if not all of these:
- At least five years of management and supervision experience with a record of excellence and growth;
- Record of creativity, entrepreneurial approach and spirit;
- Record of building, supporting and facilitating teams;
- Strong working knowledge and management experience in the not-for-profit sector preferred;
- Strong working knowledge and management experience in one or more food-related businesses preferred;
- Demonstrated success as an effective coach and mentor to other staff;
- Proven systems- and organization-building approach;
- Strong financial management and business planning skills;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Knowledge of local and regional food safety and health codes preferred;
- Strong computer literacy and informational technology management skills;
- Strong experience in contract creation and oversight; and a
- Deep personal commitment to social and community impact.
How to apply: Please send a letter of interest and resume to ADSearch@CommonWealthKitchen.org (no calls please).