- Manhattan, NY
ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and reenstreets. We operate more than 800 athletic fields and nearly 1,000 playgrounds, 1,800 basketball courts, 550 tennis courts, 67 public pools, 51 recreational facilities, 15 nature centers, 14 golf
courses and 14 miles of beaches. We care for 1,200 monuments and 23 historic house museums. We look after 600,000 street trees and two
million more in parks. We are New York City's principal providers of recreational and athletic facilities and programs. We are home to free
concerts, world-class sports events and cultural festivals.
• Under the executive review of the Commissioner, with the broadest latitude for the exercise of independent judgment, initiative and
scope of action, oversee the following divisions: Recreation, Parks Enforcement Patrol, Urban Park Rangers, Aquatics and Computer
• Responsible for the efficient operations of public programming, education and security and ensure compliance with federal, state, and
local rules and regulations. Create and adapt strategies for these areas and provide programmatic leadership and input for all strategic
plan implementation processes.
• Represent Parks and work closely with partners in City agencies, community organizations and others to manage and cultivate existing
and new relationships.
• Develop, implement and expand programming citywide for children to seniors that promotes health, fitness and conservation and
addresses the digital divide.
• Oversee effective performance monitoring programs including performance goals, valid and reliable performance measures and effective
improvement activities including meetings, coaching, technical assistance and recognition and corrective actions.
• Determine strategic direction to best meet clients’ evolving needs. Ensure continued service excellence by evaluating and analyzing
decisions that impact ability to meet client needs.
• Report to the Commissioner on division activities and the status of projects and initiatives. Work to incorporate the Commissioner’s
priorities and goals into division operations.
• Provide effective and inspiring leadership and serve as a valuable contributing member to the Parks top leadership team.
1. Ten years of experience managing recreation programs, field operations and/or security/enforcement operations.
2. Master’s degree.
3. History of commitment to successful customer service initiatives.
4. Strong evidence of success in advocacy for programs and needed resources.
5. Robust track record of working successfully with municipal agencies, other organizations and diverse constituents.
6. Evidence of excellent communication and networking skills and positive professional relationships with staff and internal and external
7. Leadership in major policy development and successful implementation.
8. Commitment to ensuring a diverse workforce and inclusive programs.
9. Record of creating dynamic, effective programming with long-term impact.
10. Valid New York State driver license.
Residency in one of the five boroughs of New York City required within 90 days of hire.
1) Apply through Employee Self Service (ESS) under Recruiting Activities
2) Search for Job ID#: 239759
Include your ERN # on all correspondence.
For all other applicants:
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 239759