Listed in Holistic Health
- Brevard, North Carolina
The Director of People, Culture, and Wellness is an executive-level position responsible for designing, implementing and managing innovative human resources initiatives that attract, develop, engage, support and retain a high-performing staff in a culture of continuous improvement, learning and excellence. This leader embodies and promotes our mission, vision, and values, while ensuring that employment practices comply with all applicable federal and state laws. This role sets the tone for organizational communication, and also acts as a liaison between Gaians in all of our locations.
The Director of People, Culture, and Wellness is responsible for supporting a vibrant, thriving Gaia Herbs team and culture by driving world class strategies and systems. This leader embodies and promotes our mission, vision, and values, while ensuring that employment practices comply with all applicable federal and state laws. This role sets the tone for organizational communication, and also acts as a liaison between Gaians in all of our locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Ensure a working environment that is consistent with Gaia Herbs’ mission-driven approach to business, as well as for traditional HR functions such as staffing, safety, employee relations, training, benefits, and compensation
- Develop and implement principles, practices and policies to foster a workplace that reflects Gaia Herbs’ values and ensures fair treatment of all employees, and ensure systems are in place to administer policies appropriately
- Steward the succession and career-planning process and workforce planning initiatives, with a focus on continuous improvement
- Work with departmental leaders to ensure current, accurate job descriptions are in place for all employees
- Spearhead developmental programs for managers to improve their skills and provide career path for high performers
- Working with People and Culture Manager, manage the recruitment and selection of all open positions to attract best in class talent
- Qualify candidates through initial phone interviews and in-person interviews of candidates. Conduct professional reference checks. Extend offer letters and lead the offer process
- Establish high quality orientation, on-boarding and off-boarding practices
- Analyze industry and organizational data and salary surveys to ensure fair and equitable compensation for positions, and recommend changes as needed, including salary benchmarking, bonus plans, and position/skill-set evaluations
- Assure all company-sponsored plans, including their design and changes, are in compliance with all relevant ERISA, DOL, and IRS requirements
- Lead the performance management process to ensure timely and qualitative performance reviews are conducted and recommend enhancements as necessary.
- Manage and provide guidance on employee relations issues such as employee complaints, performance issues, and facilitate conflict management. Assist managers with formal discipline process; review all written warnings to ensure fair and uniform application of policies and procedures; witness disciplinary meetings as needed.
- Maintains human resource information system records and compiles reports, ensuring all records are secure
- Handles employee relations counseling, outplacement counseling and exit interviewing
- Work with Quality and Operations to develop comprehensive training programs and proficiency testing for employees
- Leads the H2A visa process for farm team, including working with governmental agencies and legal firms to streamline the visa process
- Work with leadership to develop an effective organizational space plan to support our growing team
- Provide mentoring, guidance and direct supervision to the People, Culture and Wellness team members
- Ensure that People, Culture, and Wellness departmental KPIs are met
- Keep Employee Handbook and Policies and Procedures manual up-to-date, and reflective of our culture, people, and wellness
- Analyze effectiveness of all people operations efforts
- Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of the department and services performed
- Ensures all departments are compliant with both OSHA and workers comp regulations
- Lead internal communications planning with a focus on people and cultural issues
- Lead organizational development planning and recommend strategic actions for managing through sustained growth and change management.
- Ensure the organization is staffed with culturally-aligned, innovative, high-performing team members that represent the very best talent in our market(s)
- Work with executive team to define organizational goals for people and culture, and align departments effectively
- Oversee and support the planning of employee events and activities, and align with mission, vision, and values of Gaia
- Develop Gaia as a leader in socially and environmentally conscious employers, and attract and retain employees in all departments that are aligned with Gaia Herbs’ mission, vision, and values.
- Investigate opportunities for Gaia to make a difference in the community, including networking with like-minded companies and non-profits
- Manages employee feedback through such avenues as company meetings, suggestion programs, employee surveys, employee focus groups, and Intranet resources
- Develop and maintain a program of employee events, gatherings, and communications that cultivate productivity, impact, and happiness
- Cultivate the use of tools and practices that enhance collaboration, meaningful conversation, generative deliberations, thoughtful planning and effective decision-making
- Regularly assess organizational strengths and challenges using surveys and work with executive management to explore insights and opportunities for development
- Act as a liaison with insurance carriers to obtain renewals, settlements, claims and utilization data, as well as enrollment information
- Evaluate services, coverage, and options available through insurance companies and other benefits providers
- Oversee the communication to Gaia’s internal team about the farm produce program, and provide educational opportunities related to this as needed
- Oversee the Wellness committee and budget, and ensure proper resources and focus are maintained, with a focus on continuous improvement
- Collaborate with Medical Educator and Gaia Education Coordinator to design appropriate Wellness educational opportunities for Gaia team members
This position oversees the People, Culture and Wellness department and directly supervises the Benefits and Wellness Coordinator, Payroll & Benefits Associate, People and Culture Manager, Executive Assistant, Administrative Assistant, and Receptionist.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university
- Minimum of 10 years of broad and progressive HR and/or Organizational Development responsibilities, preferably in manufacturing, bio-tech, or dietary supplement industry
- Professional Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional Human Resources (SPHR) certification preferred; not required.
- Strategic thinker who can focus on the details of implementation
- Demonstrated ability to be innovative and highly productive
- Creative and thoughtful, but also practical and results-oriented
- Extensive knowledge of state and Federal laws, regulations and requirements related to human resources including ERISA, EEO, ADA, Worker’s Compensation, COBRA, Wage & Hour and others
- Expertise in human resources practices, methods, and processes including recruiting and selection, compensation and benefits, employment law, employee counseling, payroll, and training and development
- Thorough knowledge of the entire recruiting life cycle
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to authentically connect with all levels of staff
- Experience implementing innovative and effective approaches to performance management and appraisal
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to build business partnerships and to establish rapport and credibility at all levels
- Extraordinary time management, able to multi-task with attention to detail
- Excellent management and strong problem solving/analytical skills and the ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Highly self-motivated, positive, with a professional approach, a “can-do” attitude, and strong sense of servant leadership
- Able to embody the Mission, Vision and Values that are at the heart of the Gaia Herbs brand, and translate them into daily practices
Apply here: Gaia Herbs