- 99 Chauncy Street, 6th Floor, Boston, MA 02111
The Director, Water Program position is a full-time position, reporting to the Senior Program Director of the Water Program. Ceres’ Water Program works with our investor and environmental advocacy partners to accelerate the development of sustainable water systems in the United States. This position will play a pivotal role in Ceres’ efforts to encourage the evolution of the water utility business model and financial practices in support of more sustainable water management by U.S. water service providers. Primary areas of focus will include decoupling of water system revenues from volumetric water sales to enable utilities to pursue water conservation as part of their primary business model; improving the transparency of the water sector through development of improved disclosure and credit risk analysis; driving more efficient integration of water risk data by investors; and collaboratively developing intellectual capital on investment vehicles capable of directing institutional dollars toward sustainable water systems, including energy efficient treatment systems and distributed infrastructure
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and execute annual programmatic goals and Ceres’ organizational strategy for advancing water conservation and sustainable water infrastructure, as well as support strategic planning for the overall Ceres water team
- Coordinate sustainable water system strategies with external partners, including conservation advocates and water utilities.
- Manage relationships with conservation advocates, water utilities, financial intermediaries
- Manage production, release and distribution of new research and articles that advance the implementation of robust water stewardship practices and that increase investor understanding and action to address water related risks and opportunities in the water sector.
- Draft media messaging, including op-eds, press releases and blogs.
- Serve as resource on water issues for Ceres’ Corporate, Investor and Policy Program teams.
- Manage and advance relationships with current and potential water program funders
- Supervise at least one staff member including hiring and training new staff, conducting quarterly and annual reviews, providing guidance and support with professional development.
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and senior-level meetings as spokesperson for project or program work.
- Assist with planning for the Ceres annual conference program and other events.
- Support the implementation and development of Water Program management systems.
- Actively participate in crafting fundraising proposals with Development and meeting with funders to support program work.
- In partnership with Senior Program Director, manage day-to-day project activities including creation and monitoring of annual budget.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience.
- 3 years of management and strategy development experience.
- Substantial expertise on environmental sustainability issues, with a preference for expertise in freshwater sustainability/sustainable water management.
- An understanding of water utilities, municipal government, investment firms, financial institutions, and institutional investors.
- 3+ years of experience supervising staff, including ability to provide training and support staff development.
- Experience developing and managing progress against goals and budgets.
- Strong team player and comfort working in a team based atmosphere.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver specific projects and initiatives independently and leading a team.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects from concept to completion on own momentum and with limited guidance.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Effective presentation style and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the words “Director, Water Program” in the subject line of your e-mail message.