Listed in Waste Management
- Garland, TX
Are you naturally motivated, innovative, have excellent public relations and project management skills? The Environmental Waste Services department has an amazing opportunity for someone to develop and lead environmental outreach initiatives as well as assist with the department marketing and strategic planning.
The ideal candidate will be visionary, engaging and comfortable with making recommendations to further enhance the department’s mission. As the Environmental Outreach Coordinator, you will have the opportunity to interact with the community, Garland Independent School District, as well as other professionals in the industry. The City offers competitive salary, benefits, retirement and much more. Come be Garland’s next Ambassador!
Responsible for heightening customer awareness regarding proper waste handling and for increasing recycling and composting behaviors to achieve waste diversion goals. In addition, this position must work with the various EWS divisions to assist the department with marketing and strategic planning.
Essential Job Functions:
- Design, implement, promote and maintain a comprehensive public education program related to environmental outreach efforts for recycling, solid waste diversion and waste reduction. Prepare policy reports and requests for proposal, requests for bids and contracts for solid waste and recycling services. Specify and coordinate outreach goals, strategies, tactics and messages.
- Develop and implement a commercial recycling program. Conduct waste audits as needed. Develop and review focus groups, surveys and other programmatic evaluations for solid waste.
- Recommend, plan and implement program improvements by creating and reviewing standard operating procedures and departmental policies. Design, implement and evaluate solid waste/recycling outreach/marketing programs for residential and commercial customers.
- Coordinate communication with media, businesses, schools, civic groups, and other entities promoting solid waste management concepts. Create outreach materials and advise others on outreach strategies, tactics and materials
- Coordinate departmental internal communications program through digital sign boards, bulletin boards, reader boards, presentations and videos. Write press releases and fact sheets. Plan media events.
- Compile, develop and present information and programs related to integrated waste management and recycling/ waste diversion programs to City Council, City management, and Boards and Commissions.
- Interface with and maintain effective communication and public relations with civic, community and citizen groups and organizations including Garland Independent School District, Council of PTA, private schools and daycares to enhance community education and program participation, and to encourage program development and public support for the City’s environmental programs.
- Maintain national and local memberships in professional solid waste and recycling organizations to stay up-to-date about the latest industry trends, research, and programs that might benefit the department.
- Plan, develop, implement and coordinate City-wide events related to waste reduction, recycling promotion, including but not limited to Earth Day celebration and Christmas tree recycling program, Keep Garland Beautiful community clean up events, America Recycles Day event, Healthy Living Expo event, City beautification and litter/graffiti abatement.
- Coordinate and promote the Environmental Management System (EMS) through regular reports, policies and development of innovative strategies to reduce pollution, assure regulatory compliance and conserve energy. Coordinate with other jurisdictions and private companies on joint promotion efforts.
- Recommend and monitor annual and/or project budgets for waste diversion marketing campaigns, programs, and activities. Prepare and present reports and statistical analyses, including regulatory and grant management reports. Develop and manage budgets and vendor payments.
- Act as project manager for recycling and waste prevention programs. Solicit contractors, develop contract scopes of work, and manage contracts and/or vendor agreements for annual events.
- May administer grant applications to provide funding for new or continuing programs in solid waste, recycling and other environmental programs for the City.
- May administer and submit award applications promoting the City’s achievements in solid waste and recycling management.
Preferred Knowledge – Abilities & Skills:
Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Public Administration or other related program
3 years of experience in developing and delivering solid waste or environmental programs
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Experience with program development and administration
Experience managing a budget or grant administration
Experience conducting public outreach and education programs
- Experience in graphic design and social media preferred
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
Experience in marketing techniques
Demonstrated ability preparing complex, clear, and concise reports and presentation materials
Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with internal and external stakeholders
Ability to work within the organizational framework but not afraid to push for innovation.
Ability to communicate and work with a diverse workforce.
- Ability to establish and maintain photos library for department
Apply here: Garland, Texas