- 50 F Street, NW, Eighth Floor Washington, DC 20001
Context: Coordinates a wide variety of administrative and operational functions for the Operations Team. As directed, assists staff leads with the planning, logistics and implementation of events, meetings, and trainings. Provides excellent customer service in relation to Sierra Club National Staff systems, processes, and policies; and assists with the assignment of requests for Operations support.
Scope: The Events and Operations Coordinator has a wide-range of responsibilities for the coordination of work activities within the Operations Team and in support of general Sierra Club National staff events and operations. Must be able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines. The Events and Operations Coordinator should understand budgets; have a love for event management, logistics, process, and policies; provide outstanding customer service; be able to build relationships with internal and external individuals; and overcome obstacles with minimal supervision to achieve success. This position will also be responsible for managing and triaging the Operations email helpdesk to enhance the efficiency of the team’s workflow.
- Assists with event planning to include: sourcing for vendors, negotiating contracts, booking venues, arranging for food and beverage, ordering supplies and audiovisual or other tech equipment, coordinating registration and travel or group booking arrangements, communication of event logistics to attendees, monitoring expenses, and enforcing policies to meet the quality expectations of the Sierra Club.
- Provides on-site event planning and logistical support, as assigned. Assists with managing set-up, production and clean-up for events as necessary.
- Supports and drives travel and meeting strategies by providing support for business operations, policy enforcement and recommendations, and continuous improvement for efficiency and productivity.
- Provides stellar customer service. Resolves requests for assistance by clarifying the question; setting expectations for prioritization of support, selecting and explaining the best answer and/or identifying the appropriate contact for support, expediting corrections or adjustments; and following up to ensure resolution.
- Interfaces with key Sierra Club leaders, Sierra Club staff in DC, Oakland, and regional offices, chapter staff and volunteers and Sierra Club partner organizations using tact and diplomacy.
- Assists with operations problem solving and training. Helps to draft, track and facilitate standard operations trainings. Identifies areas for additional trainings and ensures they are addressed.
- Proposes new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process and policies.
- Assists with tracking event budgets and providing periodic progress reports to staff directors for each event project. Keeps track of and assists with processing event finances including check requests, invoicing, coding and reporting.
- Provides support to Operations team, including: reporting; staff training; expense (Concur) approvals and account reconciliations; support for online expense and travel systems; management of corporate card policies; management of third party vendors; and, assistance with travel technologies.
- Manages an operations “help desk” (operations inbox) to track, prioritize and route incoming service requests for the Operations team. In this role, researches and responds to inquiries, follows up, and insures adequate communication. Often handles inquiries related to sensitive or confidential matters.
- Works with Human Resources and IT to develop and maintain online Operations tools and reference sites for use by Sierra Club National staff.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to interact cooperatively and effectively with executives, general public, Sierra Club staff, leaders and volunteers. Ability to use tact and diplomacy in dealing with internal and external partners, and in dealing with confidential matters.
- 1-3 years of event planning and/or demonstrated success in an operational, administration or organizational supporting role.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and knowledge of general business, budget, and office systems.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office and creatively solve problems as they arise.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation and composition skills.
- Working knowledge of MS PowerPoint, Word and Excel is required.
- Must be able to:
- Work independently and make decisions
- Work well with a large number of people
- Maintain a service-oriented work style
- Work well under pressure and deadlines
- Be flexible
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 6 non-exempt position.
Apply here: Sierra Club