Listed in Waste Management
- 911 Western Ave., Suite 588, Seattle, WA, 98104, US
The Executive Director will embrace and support Zero Waste Washington’s mission and strategic directions. The Director’s primary responsibility will be to tend to the health of the organization by providing strategic organizational guidance, financial oversight, and effective fundraising. We are looking for someone who is excited about growing the organization’s capacity and who will contribute fresh energy and resources. This is a 35-hour per week position that reports to the Board of Directors.
Fundraising & Outreach (50%):The Executive Director will be Zero Waste Washington’s primary fundraiser and will put fundraising first and foremost to grow organizational capacity.
- Provide leadership and work with the Board to develop and implement a fundraising plan that grows Zero Waste Washington’s staff and capacity.
- Cultivate strong relationships and secure support from foundation and government grants, major donors, membership and EarthShare Washington.
- Expand our membership base and take initiative in developing new approaches, tactics and relationships that advance development goals.
- Communicate with members, funders and others through newsletters, emails, our website, social media and the annual meeting.
Organizational & Financial Oversight (30%):The Executive Director attends to the health of the organization, Board and staff.
- Work closely with and support the Board of Directors.
- Work with the staff and Board to develop and manage an annual budget.
- Coordinate general office operations, complete organizational paperwork, and share administrative tasks with staff and volunteers.
- Coordinate organizational planning and ensure the development of long-term financial strategies that support Zero Waste Washington’s strategic plan.
- Ensure accurate completion of financial documents. Review bills and payments, sign checks and make deposits.
- Oversee contract bookkeeper.
Program and Policy Leadership (20%): The Executive Director will be a spokesperson for Zero Waste Washington and will help guide the organization’s mission-based work.
- Collaborate with the Board and staff to identify and prioritize policy and program areas.
- Provide a public voice for zero waste in strategic conversations that set the direction for recycling, waste prevention, and product stewardship in Washington.
- Monitor and respond to key opportunities to influence state and local policies.
- Supervise, support and collaborate with the Project Manager.
Experience, Skills, and Qualities
- Demonstrated leadership ability and collaborative approach.
- Substantial fundraising, donor relations, and capacity building experience including demonstrated success building membership and obtaining grants. Major donor experience strongly preferred.
- Relevant financial and administrative management, including knowledge of 501(c)3 issues.
- Non-profit experience including working with a Board. Experience with small non-profits preferred.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively about complex zero waste issues. Recycling, waste prevention and product stewardship knowledge strongly preferred.
- Excellent networking, communications, public speaking and writing skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and relational database software.
- A passion for Zero Waste Washington’s mission and a drive to enhance the effectiveness of the organization.
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are the ideal candidate for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Executive Director” in the subject line of your e-mail. We would appreciate the submittal of your cover letter and resume in a single PDF document. Do not send applications by mail. The deadline for submission is May 6 or until filled.