- Yellowstone, WY
Xanterra is seeking a Sustainability Specialist to assist the Director of Sustainability in advancing Yellowstone’s environmental programs. The Specialist will work with the Director as needed to further environmental sustainability in Yellowstone’s operational areas of: solid waste management; energy and water efficiency; pollution prevention and waste reduction; sustainable design and construction practices; hazardous materials management; environmental communication and education; environmental procurement strategies; fuel tank management; green retail; and stormwater management. More information on Yellowstone’s Environmental Program can be found at: http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/environment
- Coordinate park-wide environmental programs including review and update of programs and manuals, ISO 14001 program documentation, property inspections, employee training, and corrective and preventative action database management. Analyze for effectiveness and improve environmental projects, including sustainable operating initiatives and cost impacts.
- Work to improve property-wide waste diversion programs (recycling, compost, hazardous and universal waste) by ensuring employee compliance and reduction of contamination.
- Oversee hiring, training, and ongoing logistics for Location Recycling staff to ensure effectiveness of program.
- Work closely with Director to ensure compliance with all NPS, state, and federal environmental statutes and regulations including: SPCC, asbestos, RCRA and hazardous waste, UST/AST, Universal Waste, CFC’s/Halons, lead-based paint, storm water management, hazardous materials storage, and fuel dispensing compliance. This includes providing training to staff of regulatory changes affecting operations.
- Improve and enhance employee and guest messaging to facilitate awareness of park-wide environmental programs.
- Develop and conduct training as needed, including new employee orientation, tailgates, and ongoing efforts.
- Oversee environmental committee (Yellowstone Environmental Stewardship Council) by facilitating regularly scheduled meetings and ensuring the team sets and achieves goals and objectives.
- Coordinate recertification or implementation of sustainable certification programs (i.e. Green Seal; Green Restaurant Association; LEED; Clean Marina)
- Research, test, and implement proactive environmental technologies and procedures not only for Yellowstone operations but also to share with other applicable Xanterra operations. Includes investigation of life cycle analysis, supply chain sustainability, and industry best practices.
- Assist in park-wide programs to strengthen environmental presence throughout park properties.
- Represent Xanterra via visitor and community education/engagement opportunities, local and regional events, workshops, and conferences in coordination with the Director, including through support of the Yellowstone Environmental Coordinating Committee and related stakeholder initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a focus in environmental, hospitality, or technically-related field; advanced degree (or current enrollment in a program) and/or commensurate professional sustainability and environmental compliance experience is preferred.
- Experience implementing an ISO 14001 certified Environmental Management System or similar program.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. The position must communicate effectively with all levels of employees to identify opportunities to minimize the environmental impacts of Xanterra’s operations.
- Past experience in collaboration and problem-solving across interdisciplinary topics and interdepartmental needs.
- Proven ability to build productive relationships by positively interacting with coworkers and clients and a spirit of innovation and creativity to foster efficiency and engagement.
- A personality and style that inspires others, encourages employees to present their ideas, and motivates a highly diverse group of people to understand what is expected and how to participate in meeting those objectives;.
- Capacity to apply a high level of independent direction to prioritizing and effectively progressing responsibilities.
- Well-developed personal computer skills.
- Proven ability to build productive relationships by positively interacting with coworkers and clients.
- Ability to live in a remote, rural environment.
- Passion for national parks and public lands.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time – 60% of workday
- Ability to work 40+ hours/week when necessary
- Ability to work in a higher altitude environment – 100% of workday
- Ability to climbs stairs to reach Reservations’ department – 5% of workday
- Must be able to occasionally operate company motor vehicles including snowmobiles, sedans and vans carrying up to 15 passengers.
Apply here: Xanterra