- 756 Natoma St, San Francisco, CA 94103
As our range of vehicles expands, we need a talented and dedicated Vehicle Sourcing Manager to oversee supplier selection, vehicle specification, and especially production, testing, and shipping of new vehicles. This role will involve testing and evaluating a wide range of electric vehicles. It will entail travel to supplier factories in the US and overseas. It will require an authoritative knowledge of vehicle regulations, safety equipment, components, and Scoot’s operating requirements. And it will require a mastery of complex supply chains to make sure that everything Scoot needs to expand its fleet shows up on time, on budget, and ready to ride. Additionally, the Vehicle Sourcing Manager will draw on their experience to ensure the best possible value for Scoot in terms of landed vehicle cost, spare parts costs, and ongoing maintenance costs.
As our service expands to new types of vehicles and new cities, the Vehicle Sourcing Manager will have the opportunity to take on new responsibilities, hire new staff, and to influence the direction of the business.
- Program management:Manage sourcing and deployment of new vehicles and new vehicle types from initial conversation with a potential manufacturers to on-roading Scoot-spec vehicles in volume
- Product evaluation and Scoot spec definition: Research and define the full market requirements for a vehicle, working collaboratively with the vendor and the Scoot team to establish the corresponding product requirements, and lock in the final production spec
- Oversee setup, execution, and analysis of team and customer evaluation (including intensive test riding) of potential new vehicles and pre-production prototypes
- Collaborate with the CTO, Vehicle Engineer, Embedded Systems Engineer, Industrial Designer, and Head Mechanic to define the specification for each vehicle order
- Analyze the cost, time to market, user experience, and complexity of anticipated maintenance requirements, making strategic trade-offs as needed
- Testing and quality control: Establish new validation procedures and oversee testing to be conducted by the vendor and by Scoot. This would include procedures and testing for:
- Development mules in various stages
- Pre-production prototypes
- Key components and sub-assemblies
- Production first-articles
- Final production vehicles before on-roading
- Supply chain and logistics: Handle all sourcing, logistics, and overall optimization of supply chains associated with vehicles, batteries, parts, and equipment for production and for on-going maintenance.
- Evaluate vendors, negotiate terms, issues POs, and track on-time, on-budget, on-spec delivery
- Cultivate trusting, reliable supplier relationships as single point of contact for all commercial and strategic issues
- Manage sourcing and production of custom components from various vendors
- Establish ideal spare parts and maintenance equipment inventory and ordering procedures to strike strategic balance between inventory cost and parts and equipment availability
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from a top-tier university; advanced degree in a technical/quantitative field preferred
- 5+ years of sourcing, supply chain, and project management experience in an automotive, recreational vehicle/bicycle, or consumer electronics business
- Demonstrable track record of specifying, procuring, and shipping complex new products on time and in volume (we will ask you for examples)
- Command of best practices in procurement, supply chain management, and quality control
- Experience in vehicle development from product design to production launch a plus
- Experience in building new systems and processes from the ground up
- Experience developing “should-cost” estimates and analyzing supplier quotes
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills (email, phone, in-person
- Strong ability to look forward, forecast, identify constraints
- Advanced Excel skills required. Project software experience a plus.
The skills we are looking for are often acquired in a big corporate environment. Scoot is nothing like a big automotive OEM, consumer products or electronics company. We are small, have no bureaucracy, and we move very, very fast. We also have little of the support systems, budgets, and processes you may be accustomed to. We will expect you to be comfortable running your own show with limited supervision and second-guessing from executives, bringing your processes and best practices to Scoot, and taking full credit for the successes and failures of our vehicle sourcing program.
- Competitive salary
- Very competitive stock option grant
- Company-paid health, dental & vision insurance
- Generous PTO
- Unparalleled opportunity for professional growth
- A chance to save the planet from climate change
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and who referred you to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Vehicle Sourcing & SCM Application.