- San Francisco, CA
Reporting directly to the SVP of Development, the Vice President, Power Marketing will be responsible for leading a team to prioritize, originate, price, structure, and negotiate the company’s energy, capacity and REC contracts across North America, as well as bound risks in preparation for non-recourse project financing and tax equity sales. The successful candidate will have demonstrated expertise and experience designing and executing process, along with strong communication and management skills. The successful candidate will also possess a credible interest in going beyond actual execution of power marketing transactions to grow and manage an organization that can successfully execute on multiple power transactions simultaneously. This position is based in the San Francisco home office.
Lead Power Marketing Group
- Provide leadership and drive process to prioritize off-take opportunities, develop counterparty relationships, and execute on target origination timelines
- Efficiently utilize channels (brokers, associations, conferences, sponsorships, board seats, etc) to source strategic off-take opportunities
- Develop pricing strategies that align specific projects with potential demand and corporate goal expectations
- Lead a team of originators and analytical support staff to achieve annual contracting targets for new build generation, while maximizing contracted revenues.
- Provide oversight and guidance to regional Originators negotiating contracts for energy, capacity, RECs, and congestion management.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders (development, engineering, real estate, permitting, finance, policy, construction, tax, and legal) to minimize execution and operational risks within power contract negotiations.
- Leverage strong personal negotiations skills
- Manage a team of six, while providing clarity, guidance, direction, and mentorship across employee levels.
- Provide focused attention to the group’s career growth, learning opportunities, trainings, and counterparty exposure.
- Manage group resources to successfully execute on significant volumes of power transactions simultaneously.
- Integrate team within Recurrent Energy’s Regional Team, Market Team, and Project Team structure to provide expertise and perspective towards power market risks and opportunities.
- Foster counterparty relationship development between Recurrent’s organization and key off-takers at multiple levels
- Support strategic planning and new market entry by working closely with Recurrent Energy executives to identify and successfully enter new markets
Project Finance Experience
- Leverage broad experience of structured transactions to articulate risks internally and appropriately bound them contractually or analytically in anticipation of non-recourse project financings.
- Provide support on both market design/dynamics and on executed contracts within Recurrent’s project financing and tax equity transactions
- Collaborate with the Finance team on business development efforts with potential financiers
Transaction / Market experience
- Explore creative deal structures to differentiate the Recurrent Energy product offering
- Leverage existing industry relationships to drive business development, technical consultant selection, and M&A.
- Advise on market design and risks from experience across PJM, NYISO, WECC, ERCOT, Southeast, MISO, SPP
- Provide deal structure recommendations for minimizing collateral requirements
- Strong verbal & written skills, both internally and externally.
- Interest and effectiveness filtering and disseminating information transparently throughout the organization.
- Work easily and effectively with others across multiple project and executive level teams.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience selling from energy assets and executing long-term contracts is required; Experience contracting Solar and/or Wind is preferred.
- Deep understanding of how shifts in utility, PUC, and ISO policy impact the value of our products to potential off-takers.
- Experience in risk management associated with power marketing (i.e. Schedule Coordination, CRRs, FTRs, energy hedges)
- Superior team and process management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship management and collaboration skills.
- Understanding of battery storage performance, economic drivers and contracting would be ideal.
- Proven ability to structure complex transactions, with a clear understanding of potential legal and credit issues, as well as an appreciation for the associated financial, accounting, operational and technical implications.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with off-takers, at the individual and company level.
- Ability to summarize and present complex issues and opportunities into succinct and actionable terms.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage the negotiation and closing of transactions.
- Ability to design and implement process within an interdisciplinary team setting.
- Ability to prioritize tasks to align with goals and effectively manage competing deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, presentation and communication (oral and written) skills.
- Highly driven, detail-oriented and hard-working individual with high standards for themselves and others.
- Strong vision for new ideas and connection of divergent information
Experience & Education
- 5+ years of experience in structuring, origination, finance or similar roles, and 3+ years of experience managing others.
- 4 year degree required. MBA degree a plus.
- Outstanding track record of sound judgment, strong management and efficient execution of complex transactions (preference for solar, wind or gas-fired power deals).
- Deep understanding of standard and highly-structured energy commodity transactions, power markets, and the key players.
Apply here: Recurrent Energy